Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Rock and Roll Half Marathon - Sunday, September 16, 2012

On Sunday, September 16th, I participated in the Philadelphia Rock and Roll Half Marathon.  Since I had finished the Broad Street Run (10 miles) in May, I figured now would be the best time to try for the 13.1 mile half marathon distance.  I trained hard all summer.  Getting up early so that I wouldn't be running in the heat.  I even ran 3 days while on vacation in New England! 


This race was the best organized of any races I have ever done.  Packet pick-up was on Saturday at the Philadelphia Convention Center.  I was expecting a mob scene.  John dropped me off at the door and planned to circle the area until I called to tell him I was done.  I was in and out in 15 minutes! 




On race day John, Madeline and I headed to the start at Eakins Oval in front of the Art Museum.  We found an open on street (FREE!) spot as soon as we exited the Vine Street Expressway.  The staging area had tons of Port-a-potties.  The ones we used were still clean and untouched!  We wandered around for awhile waiting for the start.  We climbed the Art Museum steps and took some great photos.




When I signed up for the race I estimated my finish time to be around 2 hours - so I was in start corral #12.  I headed to my corral and waited to begin.  I'm pretty sure I crossed the start line before 8:30.  We headed passed Logan Circle toward the Delaware River and turned back toward the Art Museum at 4th Street.  It was weird running through the empty city.  The race features bands every mile or so which gave me something to mark the miles.  When I passed Logan's Circle and the fountain on the way back, John and Madeline were there to cheer me on and take pics.  The runners continued around the Museum onto Kelly Drive all the way to the Falls River Bridge which we crossed over to head back along the West River Drive. 





I felt pretty good the entire race. The weather was perfect - sunny, low humidity and in the 60's.  I got water or Gatorade at every water stop.  I had a packet of GU that I ate by mile 7.  I picked up a new GU at mile 9. After the 10 mile mark there was a Christian rock band wearing kilts and playing bagpipes - very strange!  Then I started to feel my left knee get tight.  My breathing was fine and I was having no stomach issues.  I used my yoga breathing to power trough the last 3 miles. 

I finished in 2 hours 3 minutes 7 seconds, which I am very proud of.  John and Mads met me at the end. I ran the whole way (except when I needed to drink - I still haven't mastered running and drinking!).  My left knee was aching the next few days.  I was limping quite a bit.  I have run a few times since and my knee s not happy.  I am taking a break from running.  I will swim, do yoga and Zumba.  But I'll be back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment