Monday, May 7, 2012

Broad Street Run Sunday, May 6, 2012


Yesterday, I ran in the Broad Street Run along with 31,000+ other people. The run is 10 miles straight down Broad Street from North Philly to South Philly ending at the Philadelphia Navy Yard just past the Sports Complexes. The Sixers had a playoff game scheduled for 1 PM. So the parking lot at the Wells Fargo Center was closed. That severely limited parking at the finish. Frances and Shem had a softball game at 11 AM. The race started at 8:30 AM, but my corral probably wouldn't cross the start until after 9. That meant that I wouldn't finish until close to 11 AM. The plan was for Shem to be there with me at the start. Then after I finished I would take SEPTA home to Marcus Hook where Grace would pick me up at the train station. Watching running events is very boring, and since the crowds were enormous I was perfectly happy with this arrangement.


The weather was perfect for running. Temperatures were in the low 50's at the start. The sky was very overcast and a cool breeze was blowing. Shem drove me to the start. We parked near LaSalle University at 7:15 AM. We walked to the gear buses first to drop off my bag. I needed a bag to carry track pants, a light jacket, my inhaler and some extra snacks plus a book to read while waiting for the train. I had on a running belt with my phone and money for the train incase I was unable to get my backpack. After checking in my bag, we headed to the port-a-potties. We had to wait in line for over 30 minutes to have a turn at using these disgusting, unsanitary filth holes! When you sign up for the event, you are asked to state how long you think it will take you to finish. When I signed up in February I said I could do it in 2 hours. I was in the slowest and last corral. After training the past few months, I knew my time was closer to 1 hour 40 minutes, but I was already assigned. So I lined up in the Pink Corral. Eight- thirty came and went. The corral got more and more crowded.  I couldn't even see the start from where I was lined up. I sucked down my Green Apple Hammer Gel because I was getting hungry. Shem took some pictures (All the ones in this blog are his.). Finally I started to walk. Then I would stop. Then Walk. Stop. Walk. Stop. Walk.  I did this for two city blocks. At last, I could see the start! I cleared my watch so it would be ready for timing, waved goodbye to Shem and I was off.

Mayor Michael Nutter was right passed the start high-fiving runners, so I gave him a quick five. I noticed right away that I was passing a lot of people. I spent the first mile weaving and jockeying for position. My first mile was 9:54?! That was horrible. I tried to pick up my pace but other runners kept slowing me down. I ran on the side walk for a while just to avoid the crowd of runners. The worst place to be was dead smack in the middle of the street. Lots of runners and congestion. I passed many walkers. I definitely didn't run in a straight line. I felt more like a dog – constantly weaving in and out of the throngs – I must have done more than 10 miles all told.

The crowds cheering us on were fantastic. There were many different bands – bongo bands, marching bands, Mummers, several rock bands and even a rapper in South Philly. Some corners had radios playing. A running club called Black Girls Run had cheerleaders every few blocks in neon pink and black garb with pom-poms and cowbells and signs. I high-fived Former Governor Ed Rendell some where near Temple University. A group of soldiers were running in fatigues with packs on their backs , one had a large American flag. Every mile or so they would stop in the middle of Broad Street and drop and do 20 push-ups all while calling cadence. The crowds went wild.
My second mile was under 9 minutes. But then wI hit the water/Gatorade stations, which would cause a bottle neck effect. Runners would cut me off trying to get to the water, so I would move to the center and hit the slow lane. At the water station volunteers hand out cups of water or Gatorade as the runner run past. As a runner you grab the drink, take a sip or two, then toss the cup including contents onto the ground. So as you make your way through these areas you must be careful where you step, crunching cups as you go. Gatorade adds another dimension because it makes the ground really sticky. My feet were sticking to the ground and each step made a nice velcro sound. The city had also opened 5 or 6 fire hydrants along the route so the runners to cool off. I never got that hot.

The Divine Lorraine was my 5 mile landmark. As I passed this beautiful old building I was averaging 9.5 minute miles. Next, City Hall is situated in the middle of Broad Street. So from the beginning of the race, I could see the spire of City Hall dead center down Broad Street. Broad Street wraps around City Hall on both sides. The road really bottle-necked around City Hall. I passed it on the right. Then I entered the Avenue of the Arts which is the part of Broad that hosts the Kimmel Center and other art venues. The street was lined on both sides with fans and down the middle on the median as well. I noticed that the clusters of port-a-pottties that were set up for the runners every 2 miles still had lines 20 runners deep. Thankfully, I didn't need to go. I was still passing people regularly which I found very strange. I have done many races from 5 K's to 5 milers. Usually at the start there is a lot of jockeying for position. But then you get with people that are about the same pace as you and you run with them throughout. Not once in this race did I find anyone going my pace.  Runners passed me and passed many runners as well.

Mile 8 came up and the street became more residential. At mile 9 I could see the Phillies', Eagles' stadiums and Wells Fargo Center where the Flyers and Sixers play. About ½ mile from finish, I saw my first medical emergency. A male runner was down on the street with medics around him. I hope he is alright. It kind of dampened the excitement of being so close to finishing.

 I crossed under the I95 overpasses and down into the Navy Yard under a huge iron archway with photograthers on top. Only ¼ mile to go. At last the finish line was in view. The area was packed 10 spectators deep on either side of the finish. I was done! By my watch I finished in 1 hour 36 minutes - a time I am quite happy with. I had run the entire race without stopping to use bathroom or needing to get my breathing under control or my legs cramping.

I got my finishers medal and was directed to the queue to get water and refreshment. This part was entirely unpleasant. The line was stopped dead. The last thing I want to do after running 10 miles is stand still in a line. I had no choice though because soldiers in Army fatigues were yelling at everyone to stay in line. I marched in place to bring my heart rate down slowly. About 5 minutes in I scored a water bottle to slake my thirst. Fifteen minutes later I was able to grab a prepackaged food bag and leave the queue. I quickly ate a banana and some soft pretzel. I found my gear bus and was able to procure my bag right away. The event provided shuttle buses from the finish back to the stadium parking lots which is where I needed to catch the train. I jumped on a shuttle/school bus and endured a 30 minute, steamy, body odor filled crawl to the stadium. I would have gotten there faster if I had walked. The Broad Street Line was free to anyone who raced. So I joined another queue to get into the station and onto an packed subway car. I had to stand with my nose at armpit level of those hanging onto the overhead bars. After ten minutes, I got off at the City Hall Station and exited the station quickly. I walked the 2 blocks to Suburban Station, purchased my ticket home, grabbed some Dunkin Donuts and pulled out my book to read while I awaited my train. I was happy with my performance and enjoyed the race itself. The before and after parts were too crowded for me. I don't think I will do this race again. I'm just not into crowds.
 

Today, the day after, I feel great!  My thighs are a little tight, but some yoga stretches have been beneficial.  My only sore area is the small of my back.  It actually feels bruised, although there are no visible marks.  I think my race belt with my phone irritated that area.  It is uncomfortable to sit in a chair with a back or lay on my back.  This to shall pass.





No comments:

Post a Comment